Opay (also called Opera Pay) is among the leading digital payments in Nigeria, and the Fintech company was launched in Nigeria in 2018. The company is owned by Yahui Zhou, the chairman of the Board and Chief Executive officer of Opera. Customers use Opay to make an online payment, money transfer, and payment for goods and services using the app and their mobile devices. Opay offers a secure and reliable way of making payments through its app.
The app is available for Android and iOS systems. The app is not only used for financial transactions as it offers many other services such as food delivery, mobile banking, and ride-hailing.
Recently, Opay is becoming a more popular digital payment platform in Nigeria due to its ease of use and convenience.
Why Open an Account with Opay?
If you are still considering why you should open an account with Opay, this section is for you. Opay can be a good e-banking option for anybody that wants a fast, secure, and convenient way of conducting financial transactions.
- Accessible transactions: Opay offers an easier way of doing financial transactions, such as making payments, transfers, and withdrawals through its Mobile app.
- Reliable Security: when using Opay, you don’t have anything to fear; your transactions can be done without needing physical cash, reducing the risk of petty theft. Opay also makes sure all the users’ details are protected and secured from hackers.
- Convenience: Regarding related financial services, Opay is still on top of its game. They offer services such as Bill payment, airtime recharge, data purchase, and mobile money. All this service can be accessed from the comfort of one’s home as long as you have the app on your mobile device.
- Rewards and Bonuses: Opay doesn’t fail to appreciate its customers with prizes and bonuses. They occasionally give out those freebies to their customers, intending to make them more attractive options for users.
- Affordability: Opay services come with a meager cost; some are free. So if you are looking for a less costly e-banking option than traditional banking, you should check out Opay, which is suitable for low-income earners.
Opay Signup and Registration: Step-by-Step Guide to Opening an Opay Account
In this section, we will tell you how to open an account with Opay; it is not as complicated or tedious as opening an account at a traditional bank. You can do this within minutes and in the comfort of your room. Below are the steps you should take to open an Opay account.
1.. Download the OPay app from the Google Play Store or Apple App Store.
The first step is to download the Opay app on your phone; if you are using an Android-powered phone, you can download the app on the Google play store, but if you are using an iOs phone, head to the Apple app store to download the app. Once you are in the app store, click the search button and type Opay app, it will pop out, click on the download button and it will automatically download and install. Ensure that you have a reliable network connection.
2.. Launch the app and click on “Register.”
After the app is installed, head back to your phone interface and locate the icon of Open and click on it. Allow it to lunch before proceeding to the next phase.
3.. Enter your mobile number into the provided field and click “Next.”
After launching the app, click the following button shown. You must input your mobile phone number before proceeding to the next stage.
4.. Enter the One-Time-Password (OTP) sent to your mobile number.
Once you input your phone number, Opay will send you a one-time passcode or password that you can use to gain access to your account; once you receive it, type the password into the area designated for that.
5. Set up your 4-digit PIN, answer the security questions, and click “Next.”
Once you type in the one-time password sent to you into the Opay app correctly, another page will open for you to set up your security password. Remember that this four-digit pin is the security of your account, don’t disclose it to anyone. This is because once someone knows your password, the person can tamper with your account or, in most scenarios, can defraud you.
6. Enter your full name, date of birth, occupation, and email address.
Once you finish setting up your security pin, the next one is to enter your details; make sure that your pieces match your official information as it is in your BVN. You must enter your full name, date of birth, occupation, and email address. Don’t worry; all your details are protected and safe with Opay if you don’t leak them to anybody.
7. Choose a profile picture and upload it to the app.
It’s time to give a touch to your Opay account by uploading your profile picture. Get a clear profile picture and click on the icon that shows a human face; an upload option will pop up, click on upload and select the image you want to upload. After choosing the picture, click on upload, and automatically it will reflect on your profile picture after some minutes. Profile picture helps Pay to identify with you more and also know when your account is being tempered on.
8. Complete the verification process by taking a short video of yourself and submitting it.
Most times, you will be asked to make a video of yourself; this video is a concise short one, the essence of them requiring you to make a video is that they want to capture all your facial bio-data and store it in their system so that another person won’t get access to your account.
9. Enter your bank details if you’d like to use OPay for money transfers and payments.
The next is to enter bank details if you intend to use the Opay app to make transfers and payments. However, this is not compulsory, as Opay will give you an account number.
10. Finally, agree to the terms and conditions and click “Submit.”
Once you complete the step above, the next one is to read all the legal agreements and terms of service before clicking submit. When you are done reading it, then go ahead and click submit.
That is it! You have just created an Opay account within a few minutes; you can use your account to make payments, transfer funds, buy airtime and pay bills.
Documents Required for Opay Account Opening.
Before you open an account with Opay, you will need some documents, and we will advise you to prepare them before you begin. Below are some of the papers required:
- Valid Government-issued Identification Card: you must scan and upload proof of identity during the account opening; you can use a national identity card or number (NIN), voters card, or any other valid identification card.
- Proof of Address: proof of address may be required, too; this could be your utility bill, tenancy agreement, or even a bank account statement with your complete name and address.
- Passport-sized Photograph: you will need a clear passport to upload your profile picture. The passport photograph should be recent and not more than two MB.
- BVN: BVN (Bank Verification Number) is required; it is the most important one to have as it is used to verify your identity.
Remember: The above documents may vary in your country, as this is mostly for Nigerians who want to open an Opay account.
How to Use Opay App for payments, sending and Receiving money
How to use Opay to make a payment
Yes, you can use Opay to make payments for goods and services. However, before you do that, you have to ensure you have sufficient funds or money in your Opay account. If you don’t have enough funds in there, the transaction won’t be initiated. Below are the steps you can use to make a payment with Opay.
- Login into your Opay account: the first step is to login into your OPay account by inputting your 4-digit security pin.
- Once your Opay dashboard opens, go to the Transfer icon and tap on it.
- Choose your preferred payment method, either mobile wallet transfer or bank transfer.
- Input the details of the person you want to pay (i.e., account number, phone number, or name, depending on your payment method).
- Enter the amount you want to send to the person and click “Continue.”
- Review the transaction details before confirming it.
- Enter your Opay PIN or fingerprint to authorize the transaction.
- Upon successful transaction, you will receive a confirmation message.
Note: Before you make any transactions on Opay, make sure that you have verified your account.
How to receive payment with an Opay account
Receiving payment with an Opay account is not complex like paying with it. To receive payment with your Opay account, follow the below steps.
Ensure you have created and activated your Opay account by verifying it with your identity.
- Link your bank account: Once your Opay account is activated, you can link your bank account to enable funds to be transferred from Opay to your bank. Open the Opay app, go to the “Wallet” section, select “Bank Transfer,” and follow the prompts to link your bank account.
- Share Opay account details: To get paid with your Opay account, the first thing to do is to share your Opay account details with the person that wants to make that payment. To locate your account details, go to the “Account settings” section, where you will find your Opay account number or QR code.
- Receive payment: once someone makes a payment into your Opay account, the money will be credited to your Opay wallet. You can transfer the funds to the linked bank account by going to the transfer section and following the instructions.
With Opay, you can make use of different payment methods such as bank transfer, QR code payment, also USSD Code payment. All you have to do is to choose the one that is more appropriate based on your needs and preference.
In this section, we will answer some questions regarding opening an Opay account.
Can I have an Opay account without having a bank account?
Yes, you can create an Ebay account without having a bank account, recently, Opay launched their ATM cards, and once you have your ATM card, you don’t need to link your Uplay account with any bank. You can also open an Opay account without BVN; however, know the number of transactions you will do will be limited.
How do I get my Pay account number?
It is not difficult to locate your account details in OPay; click on the “Me” button at the bottom right corner of your screen, and by clicking on your profile, you will see your Opay account details on the net that will pop out.
Which Bank controls Opay?
Opay is controlled and regulated by CBN. Opay is a fully CBN licensed Mobile Money platform. It offers low fees and an easier way to carry out transactions. With Opay, you can receive funds quickly into your wallet instantly.
How much can I enter into a new Opay account?
The maximum amount allowed to enter into your Opay account without BVN verification is N300,000, and the daily transaction limit for an Opay account without BVN is N50,000. However, if your Opay account is fully verified with your BVN, it can hold any amount of money deposited in it.